Monday, April 20, 2009

On Gardening

I finally got around to my spring planting. All my other plants had died, so I had to do something.
I planted bell peppers, tomatoes, japanese eggplant, and cantaloupe. I also planted some herbs and onions, which I have never tried. Planting from seeds, I mean. I have tried onions and herbs. Duh.

Last year when I planted my vegetable garden, my daughter was too young to be picky about the food she ate. She was just beginning to eat solids, so she pretty much ate whatever I put in front of her. Now that she is old enough to be picky, I have had to come up with tricky ways to get her to eat vegetables. I haven't started sneaking them into brownies, but I have found several ways to make them tastier. The best are carrot fries. See the recipe below.

Carrot Fries
Slice carrots in half, then quarter lengthwise.
Toss in bowl with olive oil, 1 tsp. thyme, and 1 tsp. salt
Bake on cookie sheet in oven for 15-20 mins, depending on the thickness of the carrot slices, at 425 degrees.

No comments: