Thursday, February 12, 2009

Preschool

For me, one of the very wonderful things about not living in Manhattan was the low-key approach to schooling. I say was, because apparently all of us left coast parents have decided that we aren't cool enough unless we also take a cutthroat approach to education. Preschool - which by very definition seems to be about what kids do before they go to school, is now very competitive. It is not nearly as bad as New York, but I hear all the time about parents signing their kids up before they are even born. At many schools, there is a 2 year waiting list.

To me, this seems ridiculous, but in general I have a very relaxed approach to parenting and education. Maybe it's because I was homeschooled for part of my education, but it seems to me there are many different ways for kids to learn. Regardless, I too have jumped on the waiting list bandwagon and have found a trick to avoid getting left behind when my daughter turns 3. What is it? Sorry, you'll have to figure it out on your own.

No comments: