Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bread

I made bread this morning. Not in a bread machine, but purely from scratch. I consider myself a pretty confident cook and baker, but bread is something I have never quite gotten. Bread is like wine, in that "yeasty" is never a good adjective to have in the same sentence. Although, I suppose yeasty is never a good adjective, period.

It makes me wonder how our grandmothers and great-grandmothers ever made bread, when I have a KitchenAid mixer and a well-functioning oven and still can't manage dough that will rise right. Never mind that I had a sick 1 year old running around the kitchen and bringing me books to read - the challenges of a wood- burning stove or absence of stand mixers seems a greater challenge. Perhaps I should wear an apron and affect a pioneer accent, next time.

Either way, bread from scratch has gone on the list of things to perfect before I die. It's a good thing the other items on the list like "Go skydiving" and "Get scuba certification" absolutely require technology, or I would have a long road ahead of me.

No comments: